[OE-core] [oe] the fate of Vala in OE

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Jun 9 14:08:16 UTC 2016

On 06/09/2016 06:28 AM, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to propose the removal of Vala recipe and support for
> generating Vala bindings from oe-core. The only software that is written
> in Vala and makes sense in embedded environment is Rygel (an

It seems that there are use cases beyond just embedded systems for
OpenEmbedded, so this logic is not really valid. See:

http://openxt.org/

And yes, I think it is useful for openembedded-core to have as broad an
audience as possible.

That said, what other layers use vala? If it leaves core, is there a
layer that can host it and support other layers using it without to much
trouble?

Philip