[OE-core] how can i tell which default kernel config OE started with?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue May 3 15:13:06 UTC 2016

On Tue, 3 May 2016, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> If you are not supplying a defconfig, and are inheriting the
> standard kernel options, then yes, you'd be getting those fragments
> as well.

  ah, this actually leads me into my next question -- what is magic
about a "defconfig" file that changes the normal processing?

  in the YP kernel dev manual, section 2.2.3, one reads:

"If you have a complete, working Linux kernel .config file you want to
use for the configuration, as before, copy that file to the
appropriate ${PN} directory in your layer's recipes-kernel/linux
directory, and rename the copied file to "defconfig". Then, add the
following lines to the linux-yocto .bbappend file in your layer:

     FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
     SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"

so the idea here is that a "defconfig" file is, in some sense, a
"complete, working" config file that requires no extra processing, is
that correct? does that mean that if you explicitly use a SRC_URI
"defconfig" reference, all that extra normal processing won't be done?

  also, that same section in the YP manual is slightly confusing -- if
your SRC_URI refers to a defconfig file *and* some .cfg fragment
files, is it necessarily true that the defconfig file is consulted
first (no matter where it shows up in SRC_URI), after which all .cfg
files are applied on top of that in order? it's not entirely clear
from the manual if that's what happens.

  predictably, a couple more kernel config questions coming ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca