[OE-core] how can i tell which default kernel config OE started with?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:19:33 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
wrote:

> On Tue, 3 May 2016, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>
> > If you are not supplying a defconfig, and are inheriting the
> > standard kernel options, then yes, you'd be getting those fragments
> > as well.
>
>   ah, this actually leads me into my next question -- what is magic
> about a "defconfig" file that changes the normal processing?\

It's the existing kernel.bbclass mechanism, and a well known convention
used in the kernel. So it is used to trigger the core kernel configuration,
and when I was extending things for kernel fragments it was similarly used
as a sentinel value.

>   in the YP kernel dev manual, section 2.2.3, one reads:
>
> "If you have a complete, working Linux kernel .config file you want to
> use for the configuration, as before, copy that file to the
> appropriate ${PN} directory in your layer's recipes-kernel/linux
> directory, and rename the copied file to "defconfig". Then, add the
> following lines to the linux-yocto .bbappend file in your layer:
>
>      FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
>      SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"
>
> so the idea here is that a "defconfig" file is, in some sense, a
> "complete, working" config file that requires no extra processing, is
> that correct? does that mean that if you explicitly use a SRC_URI
> "defconfig" reference, all that extra normal processing won't be done?

Nope. Everything is still processed, the kernel version you are using,
patches, etc, all make a difference to what ends up in the .config. The
phrasing there is to point out that it is what the mainline kernel considers
a defconfig, and it is typically a complete configuration of the kernel
(that
is expected to boot your target).

>   also, that same section in the YP manual is slightly confusing -- if
> your SRC_URI refers to a defconfig file *and* some .cfg fragment
> files, is it necessarily true that the defconfig file is consulted
> first (no matter where it shows up in SRC_URI), after which all .cfg
> files are applied on top of that in order? it's not entirely clear
> from the manual if that's what happens.

Yep. If you mix the two techniques, the defconfig is first (and taken
as the settings), and then fragments are applied on top.

Note: There are some changes in defconfig that are related to features
I'm doing for the fall 2.2 release, but nothing that changes the basic
processing (so compatibility is maintained).

Bruce

>   predictably, a couple more kernel config questions coming ...
>
> rday
>
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"