[OE-core] using devtool for rebasing patches

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Thu Nov 3 17:14:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Alexander Kanavin <
alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 11/03/2016 06:29 PM, Christopher Larson wrote:
>
>> git already provides such a UI, afaik devtool just needs to use git-am
>> to apply the patches, ideally passing -3 to it, and let the user use git
>> am to resolve and continue applying patches.
>>

> I don't think git am has any UI that helps with rebasing the rejects, and
> -3 is often not useful here, as we don't have the commit history, if the
> source is coming from tarball.

Fairly sure that’s not actually correct. See below.

> What you need to do here is to use git am --reject, which would partially
> apply the patch, then find all the *.rej files and let the user manually
> edit them in, then complete the patch application with git am --continue.

With -3, it’ll merge it into the file with conflict markers, which is a lot
more pleasant to deal with than .rej files, even without the merge-base
being available.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com