[OE-core] using devtool for rebasing patches

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Thu Nov 3 19:14:04 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-11-03 at 10:14 -0700, Christopher Larson wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Alexander Kanavin
> <alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
>         What you need to do here is to use git am --reject, which
>         would partially apply the patch, then find all the *.rej files
>         and let the user manually edit them in, then complete the
>         patch application with git am --continue.
>

> With -3, it’ll merge it into the file with conflict markers, which is
> a lot more pleasant to deal with than .rej files, even without the
> merge-base being available.

That's also what I would prefer.

To deal with recipes that have something other than git as source one
could create a local git repo with a branch that contains two commits
(old version and new version), apply the patches on a second branch on
top of the old version, then do the normal rebase with conflictstyle =
diff3. At least I find that configstyle useful and have it in my
~/.gitconfig.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.