[OE-core] basic bitbake commands to create an SDK?

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Tue Oct 25 18:29:39 UTC 2016

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 12:53:24PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Khem Raj wrote:
>
> > generally meta-toolchain is prior art. You want to use image
> > specific SDKs so -cpopulate_sdk <image> is fine. In this case it
> > will include the needed dev headers/libs in your SDK for that given
> > image automatically it can be any image
>
>   ah, good to know, i was starting to get that impression from the
> readings. (is there any mention in the docs that meta-toolchain is
> deprecated? if that's the correct word.)

It's not really depricated! It's still useful in cases when you need a
standalone toolchain that is not based on any specific image recipe.
It's prone to errors and more complicated for beginners, hence the new "-c
populate_sdk" method is recommended by default, unless you know what you
are doing...