[OE-core] Fwd: About misappropriation of one of my patches in OpenEmbedded

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Apr 11 14:21:36 UTC 2017

On 4/10/17 8:19 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> First and foremost, yes a patch from Neal was mishandled. However, I
> think the dial went up to 11 on this one a bit too quickly.
>
> As far as I can tell Neal's attribution still appears in the
> 0001-Add-fallback-fopencookie-implementation.patch file. All that
> happened was that an extraneous "com>" was removed from the email
> address so it is now valid. The line was modified, not removed.

The issue wasn't that, it was that the 'Signed-off-by: ...' line was added to
the original patch without asking Neal.  It's not permitted to add someone elses
Signed-off-by line without their permission.

Also the attribution at the top of the file (originally there in the first
version) was removed in a later version.

These items combined are what triggered the issue.  It was unclear Neal authored
the original version of the patch.  It was unclear that it was modified.  It
looked like Neal consented to the sign-off-by line.

--Mark