[OE-core] Broken NPM builds

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Thu Apr 27 09:56:18 UTC 2017

On 04/26/2017 11:31 PM, Ilkka Myller wrote:
> This design allows building static, immutable, OE-proper packages for
> Node.js based applications while still using standard npm installation
> process on the build host. This is where OE core npm class differs the
> most by-design.

But are they reproducible? If the app is built one week later, is there
a guarantee that it will pull in the same components, and a check that
it is indeed so?

Also, are the licenses of various dependencies tracked and enforced?

These are important concerns in the embedded world (as opposed to the
cloud world where node.js originated).

> meta-nodejs has chosen not to promote non-standard use of npm utility,
> npm repository or npm installation process.

With this, I fully agree. I can only see pain and suffering with the
current oe-core approach.

Alex