[OE-core] host-user-contaminated QA check

Christopher Larson kergoth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:52:46 UTC 2017

It's worth noting that host-user-contaminated also triggers on pseudo bugs,
which I've seen before. If we change the behavior, what user would files
that pseudo loses track of entirely be owned by? Or perhaps some of
pseudo's log messages should be made errors..

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly at intel.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-02-02 at 11:12 -0600, Seebs wrote:
> > > But I find mapping to root:root more attractive because it makes
> > > packaging simpler (less worries about accidentally copying the
> > > original uid) and the builds faster (no need to run the QA check).
> >
> > Hmm. I think I would rather have the QA check, because if a file's
> > supposed to be non-root, and ends up root instead, that could cause
> > subtle problems, but we'd no longer have a way to *detect* those
> > problems.
>
> But that's not the kind of the problem detected by the QA check, is it?
>
> It warns when the owner of the file is the same as the user who did the
> build, but because root isn't (normally) used for building, files
> accidentally owned by root on the target won't trigger the warning.
>
> --
> Best Regards, Patrick Ohly
>
> The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although
> I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way
> represent Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak
> on behalf of Intel on this matter.
>

> --

Christopher Larson
kergoth at gmail dot com