[OE-core] libcurl vs. libcurl5 vs. libcurl4

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Fri Feb 10 15:41:44 UTC 2017

I'm on the dizzy branch and I'm working on updating my build tools to use a more recent branch.  I have an image built using fido and I'm doing some firmware upgrade testing.  I have a package that depends on libcurl and I'm getting some strange version dependencies that I'm trying to sort out.

In my package recipe I have "RDEPENDS_${PN} = <number of unrelated packages> libcurl" to pull in the runtime depenency on curl.  When I build my image using the dizzy branch, libcurl gets built as libcurl5-7.37.1, but when I build my image using the fido branch libcurl gets built as libcurl4-7.40.0.  As a result, by checking my package dependencies with "opkg info <my_package_name>" I see that the package dependency has changed from "libcurl5 (>=7.37.1)" to "libcurl4 (>=7.40.1)".

Any ideas why the package name dropped from libcurl5 to libcurl4?  Is this something that has been fixed in a more recent branch?  If I'm reading the dependencies correctly, opkg should still install libcurl-7.40.0 since my package depends on libcurl4, correct?

Thanks,
Bryan Evenson