[OE-core] libcurl vs. libcurl5 vs. libcurl4

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 19:53:51 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 03:41:44PM +0000, Bryan Evenson wrote:
> I'm on the dizzy branch and I'm working on updating my build tools to use a more recent branch.  I have an image built using fido and I'm doing some firmware upgrade testing.  I have a package that depends on libcurl and I'm getting some strange version dependencies that I'm trying to sort out.
>
> In my package recipe I have "RDEPENDS_${PN} = <number of unrelated packages> libcurl" to pull in the runtime depenency on curl.  When I build my image using the dizzy branch, libcurl gets built as libcurl5-7.37.1, but when I build my image using the fido branch libcurl gets built as libcurl4-7.40.0.  As a result, by checking my package dependencies with "opkg info <my_package_name>" I see that the package dependency has changed from "libcurl5 (>=7.37.1)" to "libcurl4 (>=7.40.1)".
>
> Any ideas why the package name dropped from libcurl5 to libcurl4?  Is this something that has been fixed in a more recent branch?  If I'm reading the dependencies correctly, opkg should still install libcurl-7.40.0 since my package depends on libcurl4, correct?

See --enable-soname-bump option in curl.

This change in oe-core:
  commit 49c848018484827c433e1bcf9c63416640456f3e
  Author: Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com>
  Date:   Tue Apr 28 22:34:22 2015 -0700
  Subject:  curl: Fix wrong assumption about sizeof off_t on largefile
    systems

    This issue was reported on poky ml as well see
    https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/poky/2013-December/009435.html

Causes this difference in curl_config.h between Dizzy and Fido:
diff 7.40.0-r0-dizzy/build/lib/curl_config.h
     7.40.0-r0-fido/build/lib/curl_config.h
878c877
< #define SIZEOF_OFF_T 4
---
> #define SIZEOF_OFF_T 8
Which in turn causes curl's configure script to stop bumping the SONAME
version.

That's why newer curl 7.40.1 produces libcurl4 while older 7.37.1
produced libcurl5.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com