[OE-core] still fighting to get an OE recipe for "libfilesys-smbclient-perl"

Tim Orling ticotimo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 03:21:39 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:

> On 19 January 2017 at 20:58, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>   beyond this, i'm not sure how to use an OE patch to adjust this
>> source the right way, given that dozens and dozens of other modules
>> cross-compiled just fine.
>>
>>   thoughts? i am in now way a perl expert so i really have no idea
>> where to go from here
>>

> Is this the module you asked about earlier that I had a quick look at?
> I'd say that basically it can't be cross-compiled easily - or with moderate
> effort - because of various pieces of crazy in the way it builds.
>
> My recommendation is to either find or become a Perl build system expert
> and entirely rewrite the build to use something modern and sane, instead of
> something archaic, hand-coded and crazy.

I have to agree with Ross here.

The original Perl module is in sorry shape. I would start with getting
somebody in the Perl world to rewrite it first (at least the build
mechanism). It has native code that is just not going to be easy to
cross-compile the way it is without serious effort and hacking. If it was
ANY kind of sane, modern, perl build system I would have it done already
and collected the bounty. The bounty is an order of magnitude too low for
the effort it would take me to get it to work (and that might still be an
underbid by a factor of 2 or more). You might be better off contracting
someone to meet the API in a new perl module. Perhaps the maintainer of
meta-cpan?

--Tim

Ross