[OE-core] Fun with npm shrinkwrap

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Tue Jun 6 14:12:53 UTC 2017

On 06/06/2017 01:17 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> devtool add / recipetool create do not work properly /wrt shrinkwrap
> when it comes to node-red-node-serialport. npm shrinkwrap finds a number
> of extraneous packages and refuses to generate an output.
>
> There are various workarounds discussed in [1]. For me this seems to
> work:

You forgot to include the actual [1] :)

> But it may have unwanted side effects. So, what would be the proper way
> to address this issue?

A few months ago we had a long, big discussion about how to support
these kinds of language environments in a way that is sustainable (I
personally do not think the current approach with npm is viable in the
long term). Here's the initial couple of emails:

http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-architecture/2017-March/000480.html

http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-architecture/2017-March/000481.html

Alex