[OE-core] npm thoughts

Josef Holzmayr holzmayr at rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Fri Mar 3 10:45:00 UTC 2017

Additional packaging/dependency thoughts:

Using the devtool mechanism to create a recipe basically packs up all
dependencies. While this is a relatively easy solution to make sure that
the resulting package is functional, I can see some issues:
- Dependency tracking via bitbake is virtually nonexistent. How would
one package a npm thing to use other, already packaged dependencies?
- I see problems in the reproductibility of the builds when relying on
npmjs as upstream server. Packages come and go there sometimes. Is there
a way to redirect dependencies to a custom hosted mirror?
- Given the current situation, the best practise seems to be to have
package.json take care of the needed modules, and have it handle that.
Means in my opinion that there should be as little npm-based stuff
installed as possible. Exactly one, in the optimal case. Downside: this
means a second dependency tracking is layered under bitbake. No good
that sounds....

my $.02
--
Josef Holzmayr
Software Developer Embedded Systems

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548