[OE-core] GUI based images

Jussi Kukkonen jussi.kukkonen at intel.com
Mon May 8 11:33:52 UTC 2017

On 8 May 2017 at 13:51, Belal, Awais <Awais_Belal at mentor.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone please shed some light on why OE only provides SATO based
images (core-image-sato) when it comes to GUI based images? There are other
solutions like LXDE, have these been evaluated? Is there a specific reason
to go with SATO?

Sato is extremely lightweight (not just runtime-wise but with regards to
build time and maintenance effort). I admit I'm not familiar with LXDE but
other DEs known as lightweight are in reality on another level compared to
Sato... Sato projects themselves are tiny and depend on very little: this
is quite beneficial since it keeps the automated test runtimes reasonable.

The other big reason is that it's there and mostly works (not as a modern
DE for daily use but as a test platform for Xorg, mesa, GTK+, GStreamer,
etc). If someone was committed to bringing in a more modern alternative
that wouldn't ruin our build times or bring in vast amounts of new recipes,
I'm sure it would be considered. Note that at this point at least I would
hope "modern" would mean "handles wayland case in some manner"...

My 2c,
  Jussi