[OE-core] GUI based images

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Mon May 8 11:39:53 UTC 2017

On 05/08/2017 02:33 PM, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:

> Sato is extremely lightweight (not just runtime-wise but with regards to
> build time and maintenance effort). I admit I'm not familiar with LXDE
> but other DEs known as lightweight are in reality on another level
> compared to Sato... Sato projects themselves are tiny and depend on very
> little: this is quite beneficial since it keeps the automated test
> runtimes reasonable.

LXDE in particular is Gtk2 based, it's no longer being developed, and
has been superseded by LXQt. So it's a non-starter (and so is LXQt,
which should be clear from its name :).

Generally, we have resources for maintaining only one GUI desktop in
oe-core layer, and right now that is Sato. If you're okay with XFCE,
that is provided via meta-xfce layer:

http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-xfce/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal-xfce.bb?h=master

Alex