[OE-core] GUI based images

Jussi Kukkonen jussi.kukkonen at intel.com
Mon May 15 12:36:54 UTC 2017

On 11 May 2017 at 10:53, Alexander Kanavin <alexander.kanavin at linux.
intel.com> wrote:

> On 05/09/2017 12:24 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:
>
>> The development of Wayland does make the long-term prospect of Sato
>> interesting: do we port Sato to Wayland too, or keep the Wayland images
>> using the standard Weston demo shell?
>>

> There is a third option: find a functional, pretty, lightweight wayland
> shell, and provide that. I think the prime candidate for that at the moment
> is Maynard, but it has its own issues, mainly that upstream isn't really
> developing it anymore. Jussi is OOO this week, maybe he can add his 2c a
> bit later.
>
> https://github.com/raspberrypi/maynard/wiki

You pretty much said my 2c: Maynard wouldn't need that much development and
maintenance to be useful as a minimal DE that scales to different devices.
Unfortunately it's not getting the love and care it needs. Writing wayland
compositors/desktops seems to be common pastime so I'm a little sad someone
hasn't picked up Maynard as their hobby project.

Even if Maynard was maintained it would fill a similar niche as Sato now
does for X: not something we'd especially expect people to ship on products.

Jussi