[OE-core] hidraw support in the kernel(s)

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Mon Sep 11 08:48:46 UTC 2017

Hello!

I am currently trying to get fwupd [1] working. For updating a Lenovo
Unifying Dongle (the USB thingie which connects to wireless mice and
keyboards), the kernel has to support hidraw, aka CONFIG_HIDRAW,
otherwise fwupd does not find the dongle.

http://www.signal11.us/oss/udev/ is an article that seems to explain
the underlying API used by fwupd. Other apps might also need it. The
recommendation is to enable it unless there are reasons not to do so:
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/HIDRAW.html

So is there a reason why CONFIG_HIDRAW is disabled in linux-intel and
(presumably, I haven't checked) linux-yocto for intel-corei7-64?

What would be the right way of enabling it? On by default as part of
some existing kernel feature perhaps? Or a new feature?

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.