[OE-core] hidraw support in the kernel(s)

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 13:19:14 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly at intel.com>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am currently trying to get fwupd [1] working. For updating a Lenovo
> Unifying Dongle (the USB thingie which connects to wireless mice and
> keyboards), the kernel has to support hidraw, aka CONFIG_HIDRAW,
> otherwise fwupd does not find the dongle.
>
> http://www.signal11.us/oss/udev/ is an article that seems to explain
> the underlying API used by fwupd. Other apps might also need it. The
> recommendation is to enable it unless there are reasons not to do so:
> http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/HIDRAW.html
>
> So is there a reason why CONFIG_HIDRAW is disabled in linux-intel and
> (presumably, I haven't checked) linux-yocto for intel-corei7-64?

The only reason it wouldn't be enabled is simply that we haven't had a
use case for it (up until now), and (for the most part) anything that isn't
strictly needed (or has a known peripheral) is disabled to keep the default
kernel's smaller.

For this option, it doesn't add much size to the kernel, has broad arch
support and could be generally useful .. so there really isn't much of an
issue enabling it in the core configs.

A lot of the HID enablement is currently in BSP fragments, but that tends
to limit their ability to be reused.

> What would be the right way of enabling it? On by default as part of
> some existing kernel feature perhaps? Or a new feature?

There are several features that already deal with HID devices, so it could
be added there (i.e. features/iio/iio.cfg) done there, or create a similar
feature
if there's a reason do not enable what is in the existing fragments when
this
one is used.

Once the option is in a fragment, it is a matter of just ensuring that
either a
ktype (i.e. standard) includes it, if we want it everywhere .. or the
relevant
BSPs include it if you want to limit it.

And finally, KERNEL_FEATURES are available if you want it to be optionally
enabled via a kernel recipe.

Cheers,

Bruce

--
"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"