[OE-core] Yocto Project, Spectre and Meltdown

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Sat Jan 27 23:06:37 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-01-27 at 16:59 +0000, Manjukumar Harthikote Matha wrote:
> [...]

As Khem replied, this is the stable gcc series and gcc remapped their
versioning scheme a while back to mean that 7.3 is a point release of
the 7 series.

I'm of the view that the gcc team know a lot more about which patches
should be backported to a stable series and have a better skillset and
knowledge base to know how to apply patches onto the older versions
than we do. As such I believe that 7.3 is the right approach for rocko.

Do you have a reason to believe we should do something else?

Note that for pyro and earlier we will need gcc 6 patches, we are not
upgrading 6 -> 7 on pyro since that would cause a ton of breakage.