[OE-core] pseudo: host user contamination

Seebs seebs at seebs.net
Sat Mar 24 15:12:38 UTC 2018

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 12:36:28 +0000
Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I think, at least in principle, pseudo could wrap that and intercept
> this particular syscall, check syscall_number (the numbering having
> its own set of issues) and then only handle the specific problem case
> we have.

I think the problem is the lack of a generic mechanism for "oops
nevermind just pass the arguments along to the child".

There's actually a neat post in Go land pointing out a mechanism
for a somewhat-similar circumstance in which their compiler just
plain cheats, and does not actually do the full function call setup,
just leaves the stack in a place that works *as if* the parent had
called something else.

> The unfortunate reality is we will have to figure out some solution to
> this as f27 is in the wild now. Explaining why this causes problems
> for debian/yocto to the upstream is also obviously a good idea.

I would like to put in a (weak, and i know it's impractical) vote for
just labeling this a host system requirement, "don't use versions of
coreutils that jumped to a not-yet-fully-supported new system call."

-s