[OE-core] Dependency loops when enabling ptest with Ångström

richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Sep 5 12:43:22 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-09-05 at 13:51 +0200, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> [Sorry for the big addressee group, but I'm not sure where to address
> this issue correctly.]
>
> We're using meta-angstrom as base for our own software. At the moment
> we try to activate ptest for some of our components. Unfortunately
> the trys lead to dependency loops. :(
>
> To exclude our own stuff I've set up a pure Ångström environment
> according to <https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/angstrom-manif
> est> (angstrom-v2018.06-sumo branch).
>
> After selecting nitrogen6x as machine and adding
>
>  DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " ptest"
>
> to conf/local.conf we see the same dependency loops (see attached
> loop.txt) when bitbaking e.g. console-image.
>
> For a first analysis we've purified the logs. The first of the loops
> is that one (after removing all the unnecessary stuff):
>
>  glib-2.0_2.54.3.bb:do_packagedata
>  glib-2.0_2.54.3.bb:do_package
>  dbus_1.12.2.bb:do_packagedata
>  dbus_1.12.2.bb:do_package
>  systemd_239.bb:do_packagedata
>  systemd_239.bb:do_package
>
> Any ideas what's going wrong here?
> Is this worth to create an issue in Ångström bug tracker?
> Or elsewhere?

Those are all OE-Core components and build fine with ptest enabled in
poky. That suggests one of the layers does something to the recipes in
a bbappend which breaks things. I'd try bisecting your layers, remove
some and see what makes the problem go away. I'd also start by creating
the simplest test case you can (is "bitbake systemd" enough?).