[OE-core] [bitbake-devel] Keeping multiconfig config files in sync

chris.laplante at agilent.com chris.laplante at agilent.com
Fri Sep 27 22:34:56 UTC 2019

Hmm, I just tried moving my multiconfig directory from build/conf to the
conf directory of an arbitrary layer, and it worked. I added 3 multiconfigs,
each with a different MACHINE set. Then I added an anonymous Python
func that just bb.warn'd out the machine. When I ran in parse-only mode,
it printed out 4 warnings (including one for the default config I guess), with
the machine different each time.

The BB manual says "The reason for this required file hierarchy is because the
BBPATH variable is not constructed until the layers are parsed. Consequently,
using the configuration file as a pre-configuration file is not possible unless it
is located in the current working directory."

You actually fixed this limitation in 2017 when you reworked the server API
(poky commits 62bd2e36 and 4602408c).

So, happily, I think this is just a case of documentation that needs updating :)

Chris