[OE-core] [bitbake-devel] Keeping multiconfig config files in sync

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Sep 26 20:52:50 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,

On Tue, 2019-09-24 at 18:21 +0000, chris.laplante--- via bitbake-devel
wrote:
> Thanks to Richard and others recent hard work, multiconfig is poised
> to become much more practical in YP 3.0.
>
> One thing I’m not clear on, however, is how it will work in a team
> environment. If I have recipes with multiconfig dependencies, then I
> must ensure that anyone else using those recipes has the exact same
> set of multiconfig config files defined in their
> build/conf/multiconfig/ directory. Or at least, compatible
> multiconfigs with matching names.
>
> Since these files are under build/conf/, it’s not immediately clear
> how one might version control these. Unless I’m mistaken and there is
> a better way, as a workaround I will probably put the multiconfigs in
> a layer and instruct developers to symlink build/conf/multiconfig to
> there.
>
> Any insight?

This has bugged me since we first created multiconfig. It was always
intended we'd have configs you could reference. It turned out to be
hard to code and we (well, I) decided to "come back to it". That hasn't
happened yet.

I'd welcome proposals on how it could work (its harder than it first
appears). It'd be good to check we do have a bug open for it too.

So yes, its an issue, I know about it, I don't have a good fix but
would like to see some kind of improvement.