[OE-core] [Openembedded-architecture] Future of sato and X in oe-core

Alexander Kanavin alex.kanavin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 18:06:57 UTC 2020

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 18:53, Richard Purdie <
richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I still strongly believe we need something in core which pulls together
> all our pieces into a UI where you can test key elements of what we
> build. If we don't have sato how do we actually test the core or demo
> it?

See my other email I just wrote; I think epiphany/webkit under weston is
able to replace sato more or less fully in this aspect, and actually do
more when it comes to modern embedded UI use cases which involve video and
3D.

> I think we shouldn't rush into things here. We should ramp up our
> wayland testing and make the wayland images more useful/comprehensive
> and then look at moving more of our tests from sato to the wayland
> images.

Certainly no rush here and this transition will proceed carefully and will
take years, but then I am famous for mercilessly removing things from
oe-core, and X with sato would be the biggest one yet! :)

Alex