[OE-core] [Openembedded-architecture] Future of sato and X in oe-core

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Wed Feb 12 11:40:18 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 07:06:57PM +0100, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 18:53, Richard Purdie <
> richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> > I still strongly believe we need something in core which pulls together
> > all our pieces into a UI where you can test key elements of what we
> > build. If we don't have sato how do we actually test the core or demo
> > it?
>
> See my other email I just wrote; I think epiphany/webkit under weston is
> able to replace sato more or less fully in this aspect,

Regarding dependencies and buildtime, epiphany/webkit is the largest
part of sato.

If you anyways want core to ship all the multimedia libraries and
ruby and rust and plenty of other packages, then an additional
desktop environment in core would be relatively lightweight.

A small core would be headless.

> and actually do
> more when it comes to modern embedded UI use cases which involve video and
> 3D.

epiphany/webkit is a strange option to support in core for that,
moving Qt back into core instead would bring more usage in actual
products instead of shipping test/demo-only software.

> Alex

cu
Adrian