[OE-core] Overriding SDE_FILE

Douglas Royds douglas.royds at taitradio.com
Thu Feb 27 05:46:05 UTC 2020

On 26/02/20 4:53 am, Jacob Kroon wrote:

> On 2/24/20 8:25 AM, Jacob Kroon wrote:
>> Hi Douglas,
>>
>> You updated a comment in reproducible_build.bbclass, commit
>> e7b891b76954c784f5a93bd0a1c91315673ce40d:
>>
>>> -# Once the value of SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH is determined, it is stored
>>> in the recipe's ${SDE_FILE}.
>>> +# Once the value of SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH is determined, it is stored
>>> in the recipe's SDE_FILE.
>>> +# If none of these mechanisms are suitable, replace the
>>> do_deploy_source_date_epoch task
>>> +# with recipe-specific functionality to write the appropriate
>>> SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH into the SDE_FILE.
>>> +#
>>
>> But I can't really get this to work. What did work for me was to
>> replace "do_create_source_date_epoch_stamp()" in my recipe:
>>
>> do_create_source_date_epoch_stamp() {
>>      mkdir -p ${SDE_DIR}
>>      date -d "1981-03-03" "+%s" > ${SDE_FILE}
>> }
>>
>> What is the intended way to achieve the thing I'm trying to do here ?
>>

> FYI, JPEW has a proposed patch here
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=jpew/reproducible&id=d091d2aa53ea417f70c10f5ce89151820c3db9ce
>

> for allowing a recipe to just set SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH directly.
>
> But maybe that currently is at odds with SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH being in
> BB_HASHBASE_WHITELIST ?
>
> /Jacob

On the surface of it, my comment appears to be just wrong: It does make
sense to replace do_create_source_date_epoch_stamp() as you suggest.

Joshua's proposed patch looks promising:

  * Should the new function not be called first, so that it takes
    priority over the git, known files, and youngest file functions? If
    someone has explicitly set SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH, then they want it to
    take priority.
  * As you observe, SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH would need to be removed from
    BB_HASHBASE_WHITELIST. I'm not sure why it was in the whitelist in
    the first place.