[OE-core] Overriding SDE_FILE

Joshua Watt jpewhacker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 15:01:12 UTC 2020

On 2/26/20 11:46 PM, Douglas Royds wrote:

> On 26/02/20 4:53 am, Jacob Kroon wrote:
>
>> On 2/24/20 8:25 AM, Jacob Kroon wrote:
>>> Hi Douglas,
>>>
>>> You updated a comment in reproducible_build.bbclass, commit
>>> e7b891b76954c784f5a93bd0a1c91315673ce40d:

>>> But I can't really get this to work. What did work for me was to
>>> replace "do_create_source_date_epoch_stamp()" in my recipe:
>>>
>>> do_create_source_date_epoch_stamp() {
>>>      mkdir -p ${SDE_DIR}
>>>      date -d "1981-03-03" "+%s" > ${SDE_FILE}
>>> }
>>>
>>> What is the intended way to achieve the thing I'm trying to do here ?
>>>

>> FYI, JPEW has a proposed patch here
>>
>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=jpew/reproducible&id=d091d2aa53ea417f70c10f5ce89151820c3db9ce
>>

>> for allowing a recipe to just set SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH directly.
>>
>> But maybe that currently is at odds with SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH being in
>> BB_HASHBASE_WHITELIST ?
>>
>> /Jacob
>

> On the surface of it, my comment appears to be just wrong: It does
> make sense to replace do_create_source_date_epoch_stamp() as you suggest.
>
> Joshua's proposed patch looks promising:
>
>   * Should the new function not be called first, so that it takes
>     priority over the git, known files, and youngest file functions?
>     If someone has explicitly set SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH, then they want it
>     to take priority.

Having that be the first option makes sense. The only case in which that
might not work, is if a recipe does something like:

  SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH = "${@my_awesome_sde_calculation(d)}"

e.g. uses a function to get the SDE instead of setting to a fixed value,
but that's probably going to be extremely rare.

>  *
>

>   * As you observe, SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH would need to be removed from
>     BB_HASHBASE_WHITELIST. I'm not sure why it was in the whitelist in
>     the first place.

I'm not sure why exactly it is whitelisted; I didn't write the original
code that whitelisted it, but I've CC'd Juro in case he happens to remember.