[OE-core] Connectivity check uris

Jean-Marie LEMETAYER jean-marie.lemetayer at savoirfairelinux.com
Fri Jan 24 11:37:57 UTC 2020

On Jan 23, 2020, at 8:25 PM, Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 7:24 AM Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2020-01-23 at 09:59 -0500, Jean-Marie LEMETAYER wrote:

> How about checking github.com? That's probably the host that a network
> dependent build needs to access most often.

It is a good idea!

To go further I have created a new GitHub repository to host a simple
index.html file using the GitHub Pages:
https://github.com/connectivitycheck/connectivitycheck.github.io

The URL of the page is here:
https://connectivitycheck.github.io

The results are good for me:
$ time ./connectivity_check.sh https://connectivitycheck.github.io
100 wget -qO- --timeout=1 --tries=1 https://connectivitycheck.github.io
100 curl -s --connect-timeout 1 https://connectivitycheck.github.io

real	0m17.202s
user	0m0.944s
sys	0m0.241s

Moreover github.com seems to be accessible in china.
(checked with: https://www.websitepulse.com/tools/china-firewall-test)

Finally the same thing can be done using GitLab. This could make it
possible to have mirrors.

Best regards,
Jean-Marie