[OE-core] is there ever a compelling reason for "FILESEXTRAPATHS_append := ..."?

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Sun Mar 1 13:28:04 UTC 2020

Hello Robert,

The idea behind its use is to put the local layer as a preference for
the lookup for each of SRC_URI references. This is required so we can
override files / patches when using the bbappend.

Another common use is to make multiple recipes to share files, which
are included on SRC_URI as well.

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 8:51 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Mar 2020, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>

> >   occasionally, i run across an existing bbappend file which contains
> >
> >   FILESEXTRAPATHS_append := ...
> >
> > and that makes me nervous as i don't see the rationale in *appending*
> > to that variable in a bbappend file -- seems to defeat the purpose of
> > potentially overriding what's in the original .bb recipe.
> >
> >   now, sometimes it's obvious that it's broken as i'm currently
> > looking at an example:
> >
> >   FILESEXTRAPATHS_append := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
> >
> > which makes no sense at all with the colon at the end. but other than
> > something so clearly broken, are there situations to append to
> > FILESEXTRAPATHS? that just seems counter-productive, but maybe i'm
> > missing something.
>
>   figured i'd scan for examples of that in some of the many layers i
> have checked out and found the following:
>
> meta-boundary/recipes-qt/qt4/qt4-embedded_%.bbappend:FILESEXTRAPATHS_append
> := "${THISDIR}/files:"
>
> meta-intel/recipes-core/zlib/zlib-intel_1.2.11.1.jtkv6.3.bb:FILESEXTRAPATHS_append
> = ":${COREBASE}/meta/recipes-core/zlib/zlib"
>
> meta-qt5/recipes-qt/qt5/qt5-ptest.inc:FILESEXTRAPATHS_append :=
> ":${THISDIR}/ptest"
>
> meta-virtualization/recipes-networking/openvswitch/openvswitch_git.bb:FILESEXTRAPATHS_append
> := "${THISDIR}/${PN}-git:"
>
>   note that a couple seem clearly(?) wrong (like that last one), but
> i'm open to clarification as to when this is useful. (i think i see
> the application in that meta-intel layer example, although should that
> use "OEROOT" rather than "COREBASE"?)
>
> rday
> --

Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750