[OE-core] is there ever a compelling reason for "FILESEXTRAPATHS_append := ..."?

Peter Kjellerstedt peter.kjellerstedt at axis.com
Tue Mar 3 13:15:45 UTC 2020

Although contradictory to logic, it is apparently correct to use
"<path>:" both with _prepend and _append when adding to
FILESEXTRAPATHS (see the default value set by bitbake.conf, which is
"__default:"). However, problems _will_ arise if different bbappend
files for the same recipe do it differently... It can also be noted
that the QA test in insane.bbclass suggests to use ":<path>" with
_append, further adding to the confusion.

> i'm open to clarification as to when this is useful. (i think i see
> the application in that meta-intel layer example, although should that
> use "OEROOT" rather than "COREBASE"?)

No, ${COREBASE} is correct. (OEROOT is not a bitbake variable, it is
only available in the oe-init-build-env script.)

> rday

//Peter