[OE-core] psplash activation state w/ systemd

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Mar 11 17:20:33 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-03-09 at 15:18 +0000, Alex Kiernan wrote:
> I've a branch with systemd 245 on it which fails testing because
> psplash gets restarted all the time.
>
> But ignoring the systemd 245 piece, it looks to me like psplash could
> be restarted under systemd 244 too as the main process exits and our
> units aren't marked RemainAfterExit. I haven't figured out what's
> triggering it in 245 and not 244, but I suspect it's something
> similar
> to this:
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/9fd32ff7d363945fbf8fdae0128702b995127558
>
> Given where we are in the release cycle and how painful psplash has
> obviously been, I'm inclined to leave it until after dunfell ships
> and then do it as part of the whole 245 upgrade?
>
> Equally if you see psplash flapping during tests, it's almost
> certainly this problem.

Thanks for the report. The weird thing is that master is working with
this as far as I can see, certainly no test failures since the last fix
I pushed a few days ago.

Is there some specific change to the unit files we should make? I'm a
little reluctant to pull this out now given we feel like we're close to
it working.