[OE-core] psplash activation state w/ systemd

Alex Kiernan alex.kiernan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 17:27:33 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 5:20 PM Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-03-09 at 15:18 +0000, Alex Kiernan wrote:
> > I've a branch with systemd 245 on it which fails testing because
> > psplash gets restarted all the time.
> >
> > But ignoring the systemd 245 piece, it looks to me like psplash could
> > be restarted under systemd 244 too as the main process exits and our
> > units aren't marked RemainAfterExit. I haven't figured out what's
> > triggering it in 245 and not 244, but I suspect it's something
> > similar
> > to this:
> >
> > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/9fd32ff7d363945fbf8fdae0128702b995127558
> >
> > Given where we are in the release cycle and how painful psplash has
> > obviously been, I'm inclined to leave it until after dunfell ships
> > and then do it as part of the whole 245 upgrade?
> >
> > Equally if you see psplash flapping during tests, it's almost
> > certainly this problem.
>
> Thanks for the report. The weird thing is that master is working with
> this as far as I can see, certainly no test failures since the last fix
> I pushed a few days ago.
>
> Is there some specific change to the unit files we should make? I'm a
> little reluctant to pull this out now given we feel like we're close to
> it working.

It's basically trivial (add RemainAfterExit=yes to both units), but as
you say, given where we are and it appears to work, I don't think
now's the time to do it.

I suspect something's changed in 245 which makes it far more likely
that you see units retriggered, but I can't for the life of me work
out which commit it is (I should stop trying to do it by inspection
and bisect it out...).

--
Alex Kiernan