[oe] New palm environment

Alan Carvalho de Assis acassis at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 21:07:56 UTC 2006

Hi Erik,

2006/12/2, Erik Hovland <erik at hovland.org>:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 06:13:50PM +0000, Alan Carvalho de Assis wrote:
>
> Honestly, GPE and FLTK can co-exist on the same handheld. There are FLTK
> libraries and apps available on both familiar and OpenZaurus.

Yes, the co-existence is not the a problem. Currently I run FLTK
programs (ipatience for example) on GPE and it work fine.

The problem is how to run Linux on low end devices? In example if I
have a smarthphone with 8MB of RAM, how to run Linux on it? Is
possible run kdrive and GTK applications on it? I think no.

> Scratch your itch. There is enough room in the community for another
> environment. But please consider why GPE or Opie can't do what you need
> before taking on what could be a huge task.

Just my consideration above. I am happy with GPE on my iPaq, my
question is just about how to run GPE on devices with low memory.
Maybe my question can be irrelevant because memory is become very
cheap and processors become very speed. Anyway there is a gap that
Linux can fit if we will have a small and fast palm environment.

Hey, it is not a frame-war.
I am just considering if is feasible to create a new environment. But
as we can see it don't seems.

> --
> Erik Hovland
> mail: erik at hovland.org