[oe] FOSDEM'07

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 22:36:43 UTC 2006

Michael,

On 12/8/06, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at vanille-media.de> wrote:

> <poster tips>

Any ideas on the size of the target poster (A3, A2-A0?), and the font
size in points or cm?

Which concepts would we want to explain on the poster?

We should first summarize that I think. A graphic artist cannot make a
graphic without knowing what should be shown.

I'm quite noob there, but here's what I understand so far:

BitBake/OpenEmbedded is a set of tools and metadata to easily build
ready-to-deploy kernels, software packages or complete filesystem
images. It relieves the developer from much of the subtleties of cross
compilation and dependencies.

A bitbake recipe describes all tasks to be performed for a package,
and in which order.

A bitbake class implements tasks, can inherit tasks from other classes.

BitBake itself is the task executor, taking care of build-time and
run-time dependencies.

Tasks can be overridden and new tasks can be added.

A default chain of tasks consists of fetch, unpack, patch, configure,
compile, install, package, stage.

OpenEmbedded is a coherent set of classes, many package recipes, and
configurations for targets and distributions. Together with the
BitBake tool this allows you to build kernels and filesystem images
for your targets in an easy way.

Regards,

Leon.