[oe] FOSDEM'07

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Thu Dec 7 23:45:17 UTC 2006

Ok, let's get it started. Tempus fugit!

Two sites I found helpful are:

http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/cpurrin1/posteradvice.htm

http://www.ncsu.edu/project/posters/NewSite/

I'd like to suggest having at least three huge images on the poster to attract
guys that are wandering buy:

1.) A flow chart illustrating how different file types are mungled
into a flashable image that gets onto your device. For that I have an
idea that I can sketch you on a piece of paper. We'd need someone with
graphic talent to make it look stunning though.

2.) A developer board (without a case) running an OE-built distro
(splash screen on display, either real or cut'n'paste ;)

3.) A mobile phone or a handheld running an OE-built distro (splash
screen on display, either real or cut'n'paste ;)

The rest could be filled with huge text, not much, but enough to show
some of the cool things, i.e. at least

4.) The simplicity of .bb files,
5.) bitbake invocation for one target,
6.) and a [short] example output.

Some buzzwords could be:

* efficiency (takes all the hassle out of cross-compiling, write on
configuration file and leverage ten thousands of packages without
any further "porting")
* conciseness (split nasty things into classes and conf files => use
of abstraction)
* synergie effects (kernel and userland guys coming together, hardware
and software guys meeting in the OE ecosystem, every change benefits a
lot of architectures)
* ... ?

Regards,

:M: