[oe] {PACKAGE,TARGET_{,PACKAGE_,EXTRA_}}ARCH blues

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Sun Dec 10 22:24:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 00:23 +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> In my case, an IXP4xx target, with big-endian ARCH_BYTE_SEX I have this:
>
> from conf/machine/ixp4xx.conf sets:
>
> TARGET_ARCH = armeb
> TARGET_PACKAGE_ARCH = armv5teb
>
> conf/machine/ixp4xx.conf then sets (overrides):
> PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS = "armv4 armv4t armv5e armv5te ixp4xx${ARCH_BYTE_SEX}"
>
> conf/bitbake.conf then sets PACKAGE_ARCHS to this:
>
> PACKAGE_ARCHS = "all any noarch ${TARGET_ARCH} ${PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS}
> ${MACHINE}"
[...]
> end I end up with a full set of 'armv5teb' packages, which fail to
> install to my image.
>
> I can work around this by twiddling with the variable definitions and
> settings, but I rather want to discuss what is the proper fix here?
>
> Should PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCH be appended by TARGET_PACKAGE_ARCH?

conf/machine/include/ixp4xx.conf is the only file in my openembedded
directory which references this "TARGET_PACKAGE_ARCH" variable so its an
ixp4xx issue. The name sounds very confused so I'd suggest just getting
rid of it and set PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS to contain everything you need. An
example might be:

PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS = "armv4 armv4t armv5e armv5te{ARCH_BYTE_SEX} ixp4xx{ARCH_BYTE_SEX}"

which probably isn't right but you get the idea.

Someone familiar with what the ixp builds should be doing should really
look at this. I've cc'd rwhitby who should know the right person to deal
with this.

This machine might not want PACKAGE_ARCHS containing ${MACHINE} so it
might want to override that...

Regards,

Richard