[oe] RFC: handling of machine/distro features stuff

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 13:37:59 UTC 2006

Hello all,

On 10/30/06, Justin Patrin <papercrane at gmail.com> wrote:

> It *sounds* like what you want here is basically a USE-flag type of
> system. Introducing it as FEATURES flags makes sense to me given that
> OE is made for building embedded distros and not for local building,
> as portage.

Yes, USE flags came to my mind as well when I read this.

In my use case (beware of pun) I have a package overlay of graphical
packages (freetype, pango, cairo, gtk) but without dependencies on X
support (they render to framebuffers).

So, I recon this would fall into the domain of a DISTRO FEATURE (i.e. "no X11")

However, could I *disable* a feature in the intended framework? (much
like with the plus and minus signs in the emerge USE case)

Regards,

Leon 'likewise'