[oe] RFC: handling of machine/distro features stuff

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Nov 17 09:25:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 01:01 +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia niedziela, 29 października 2006 15:28, Marcin Juszkiewicz napisał:
> > Currently OpenEmbedded use overrides based on DISTRO, MACHINE,
> > TARGET_ARCH and few others. I want to suggest start of using also
> > {MACHINE,DISTRO}_FEATURES because we have some stuff in metadata which
> > make sense only on some targets only - for example madwifi is limited
> > to PCI devices only.
>
> Holger 'zecke' Freyther pointed me to MacPorts and their 'variants'. After
> looking at them I think that those are other kind of our overrides.
>
> Which points me to this idea: how about adding COMBINED_FEATURES into
> overrides? I do not know will it slow down BitBake or make metadata bit
> more ugly but it is kind of solution.

Personally, I think its a bad idea as we have too many variables in this
field and it could end up with too much namespace pollution. We need to
keep our overrides lean :)

Also, this would automatically make any package machine specific and
make multimachine pointless (anything using COMBINED_FEATURES is machine
specific).

Richard