[oe] RFC: handling of machine/distro features stuff

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at hrw.one.pl
Sun Oct 29 14:28:39 UTC 2006

Currently OpenEmbedded use overrides based on DISTRO, MACHINE, TARGET_ARCH
and few others. I want to suggest start of using also
{MACHINE,DISTRO}_FEATURES because we have some stuff in metadata which
make sense only on some targets only - for example madwifi is limited to
PCI devices only.

Why do this at all? Let me take wpa-supplicant 0.5.x as example.

I'm building own distribution for my PDA devices and want to use latest
possible software. But wpa-supplicant 0.5.1 depends on madwifi which
cannot be build because my target device does not have PCI bus support. If
I remove madwifi stuff from wpa-supplicant recipe then I will get working
version. But this cannot be pushed back into repo because NSLU2 related
distros want version with madwifi support.

Solution can be adding checking for pci support in
{MACHINE,DISTRO}_FEATURES and only then enable madwifi support:

DEPENDS = "gnutls \
${@base_contains("DISTRO_FEATURES", "pci", "madwifi", "",d)}"

Same stuff can go into madwifi recipe so it will get skipped if target
device lack PCI support.

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

               Life's not fair. But the root password helps.