[oe] RFC: handling of machine/distro features stuff

Jamie Lenehan lenehan at twibble.org
Sun Oct 29 22:10:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 03:28:39PM +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

> Currently OpenEmbedded use overrides based on DISTRO, MACHINE, TARGET_ARCH
> and few others. I want to suggest start of using also
> {MACHINE,DISTRO}_FEATURES because we have some stuff in metadata which
> make sense only on some targets only - for example madwifi is limited to
> PCI devices only.

In general that sounds reasonable.

I've also run into problems before with things that depend on PCMCIA
which I don't have built into any of my kernels.

If you are going to do this it might be nice to make pci and mini-pci
separate features, since I don't want to build loads of pci device
and driver related stuff when my target devices only have mini-pci.
All my current mad-wifi cards for here are mini-pci.

[...]
> I remove madwifi stuff from wpa-supplicant recipe then I will get working
> version. But this cannot be pushed back into repo because NSLU2 related
> distros want version with madwifi support.

Yep. I need madwifi support in wpa-supplicant for my router distro
and associated target devices as well.

--
 Jamie Lenehan <lenehan at twibble.org>