[oe] OE a deterministic build system?

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Mon Apr 9 06:22:04 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am pulling my hair out and losing faith in OE being a deterministic
build system.  As documented in bug 1568, I have not been able to build
nunome for about half a year now.  When I asked hrw for help in fixing
it , I was quite surprised for him to come back and say "Built fine for
me". This success was later repeated by psokolovsky.  Alas, I can't.

In my futile attempts on finding where I screwed this up, I further and
further "virginized" my OE installation until I reinstalled, but even
that did not help (going by GettingStarted here).

   1. openembedded-essential has long since been installed
   2. rm -Rf ~/oe && mkdir -p ~/oe/build/conf && cd ~/oe
   3. svn co
      http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/bitbake/branches/bitbake-1.8/
      bitbake
   4. wget http://www.openembedded.org/snapshots/OE.mtn.bz2
   5. bunzip2 <OE.mtn.bz2 >oe.mtn
   6. mtn --db=./OE.mtn checkout --branch=org.openembedded.dev
   7. My local.conf is absolutely bare and unspectucular

      DL_DIR = "${HOME}/oe/sources"
      BBFILES = "${HOME}/oe/org.openembedded.dev/packages/*/*.bb"
      BBMASK = ""
      MACHINE ?= "spitz"
      DISTRO = "angstrom-2007.1-oabi"
      ENABLE_BINARY_LOCALE_GENERATION = "0"
      ASSUME_PROVIDED += "qemu-native"
      GLIBC_GENERATE_LOCALES = "en_GB.UTF-8 de_DE.UTF-8"
      IMAGE_FSTYPES = "jffs2 tar"
      PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 3"
      BBINCLUDELOGS = "yes"
      PALMTOP_USE_MULTITHREADED_QT = "yes"

   8. set up the environment with

      export PATH=/home/rolf/oe/bitbake/bin/:$PATH && export
      BBPATH=/home/rolf/oe/build/:/home/rolf/oe/org.openembedded.dev/

   9. "bitbake qte-mt && bitbake nunome" then fails with the same old
      error of "undefined reference to `main'" as always ->
      http://bugs.openembedded.org/attachment.cgi?id=1335

Now, I really wonder what causes this virgin build to fail for me when
it seems everybody else can happily build it?  Is OE not deterministic?
Hints and discussion welcome.

Regards

Rolf