[oe] OE a deterministic build system?

Justin Patrin papercrane at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:52:42 UTC 2007

On 4/8/07, Rolf Leggewie <no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am pulling my hair out and losing faith in OE being a deterministic
> build system.  As documented in bug 1568, I have not been able to build
> nunome for about half a year now.  When I asked hrw for help in fixing
> it , I was quite surprised for him to come back and say "Built fine for
> me". This success was later repeated by psokolovsky.  Alas, I can't.
>
> In my futile attempts on finding where I screwed this up, I further and
> further "virginized" my OE installation until I reinstalled, but even
> that did not help (going by GettingStarted here).
>
>    1. openembedded-essential has long since been installed
>    2. rm -Rf ~/oe && mkdir -p ~/oe/build/conf && cd ~/oe
>    3. svn co
>       http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/bitbake/branches/bitbake-1.8/
>       bitbake
>    4. wget http://www.openembedded.org/snapshots/OE.mtn.bz2
>    5. bunzip2 <OE.mtn.bz2 >oe.mtn

Do you do an "mtn --db=./OE.mtn pull openembedded.org
org.openembedded.dev" here?

>    6. mtn --db=./OE.mtn checkout --branch=org.openembedded.dev
>    7. My local.conf is absolutely bare and unspectucular
>
>       DL_DIR = "${HOME}/oe/sources"
>       BBFILES = "${HOME}/oe/org.openembedded.dev/packages/*/*.bb"
>       BBMASK = ""
>       MACHINE ?= "spitz"
>       DISTRO = "angstrom-2007.1-oabi"
>       ENABLE_BINARY_LOCALE_GENERATION = "0"
>       ASSUME_PROVIDED += "qemu-native"
>       GLIBC_GENERATE_LOCALES = "en_GB.UTF-8 de_DE.UTF-8"
>       IMAGE_FSTYPES = "jffs2 tar"
>       PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 3"
>       BBINCLUDELOGS = "yes"
>       PALMTOP_USE_MULTITHREADED_QT = "yes"
>
>    8. set up the environment with
>
>       export PATH=/home/rolf/oe/bitbake/bin/:$PATH && export
>       BBPATH=/home/rolf/oe/build/:/home/rolf/oe/org.openembedded.dev/
>
>    9. "bitbake qte-mt && bitbake nunome" then fails with the same old
>       error of "undefined reference to `main'" as always ->
>       http://bugs.openembedded.org/attachment.cgi?id=1335
>
> Now, I really wonder what causes this virgin build to fail for me when
> it seems everybody else can happily build it?  Is OE not deterministic?
> Hints and discussion welcome.

Of course it's deterministic....you do get the same error every time,
don't you? Sounds like it's a difference between your system and
everyone else's. I'll try a build myself with almost your exact
local.conf and a fully up to date .dev as well.

--
Justin Patrin