[oe] OE a deterministic build system?

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 15:14:12 UTC 2007

Hello Mike,

>>> Can someone make sanity.bbclass detect dash and exit with a
>>> warning/error? :)
>>
>> Probably better is to make bash-native and depend on it?
>> (or ash)
>> Just curious.

> Ack!

  I bet you meant "Nak!".

> OE already builds a lot of stuff natively -- there's no need to slow
> builds done even more by building something natively that one should be able
> to presume exists on every reasonable build machine.  I think if a build
> machine has gcc, it shouldn't be too much more difficult to expect a working
> bash as well, IMO.

  Sure, it makes no sense to *depend* on them. But it would make sense
to still has comprehensive set of *-native recipes, and make sanity.bb
to be smart enough to suggest user that one could build *-native thing
manually as one way to resolve missing build-time dependency. (No, I
don't think that sanity.bb should be smartass and build missing things
itself - user should request that explicitly).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com