[oe] perl 5.8.8 is ready

Jamie Lenehan lenehan at twibble.org
Fri Apr 27 10:57:22 UTC 2007

Hi,

I think I've got perl 5.8.8 to the stage where it is ready for use.
As this is a pretty big and complex system and I've made some rather
large changes to the way the build happens I'd like to get some
reports from other people that it works for them before removing the
DEFAULT_PREFERENCE = "-1".

You need to build perl-native 5.8.8 and then perl 5.8.8. (You always
have to build the matching -native version of perl first.)

So far I've tested sh4/glibc (build & run), i486/glibc (build only)
and sh4/uclibc (build only) using gcc 3.4.4 for sh4 and gcc 4.1.2 for
i486.

The main visible changes are:

 - Per-arch configurations and now gone, it should build for any
   target now without change.

 - Installation paths have all been change to be match the debian
   style (which also happens to be FHS compliant).

 - All configurations match (including native) and all configurations
   include threading and shared library support.

The build should also be a lot more reliable and it should resolve
nearly all of the perl related bugzilla entries (yes, even the
/bin/sh is dash one ;)

(Note that if you have any cpan modules they all need to rebuilt as
well when changing to 5.8.8 in order to get installed into the new
locations.)

--
 Jamie Lenehan <lenehan at twibble.org>