[oe] Gstreamer and rpath

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Sun Aug 5 11:32:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 11:21 +0200, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Richard Purdie wrote:
>
> > I'm actually semi against forcing staging to look like an image. The
> > fact gcc requires this for its sysroot option is a sign that they
> > haven't got this right yet.
> >
> > With packaged staging we need to decide which way we go, separate
> > staging packages or use the same ones as we use for images.
> >
> > My personal gut feeling is that separate ones will work better. They
> > also mean we can handle the extra staging files like pkgmaps and perhaps
> > handle multi machine easier.
>
> Well, the point of gcc --sysroot is a simplification of cross
> compilation for those using complete sysroot environment.

Yes, I understand that and I appreciate it does solve a certain mount of
the problem! I just think it could be better and that it isn't a "solves
everything" solution for OE.

> But maybe there is possible to invent better method than the sysroot
> design is.
>
> A random idea:
>
> Define TARGET_ROOT_MAP, which may use similar syntax like overlay
> filesystems have. It will allow to construct sysroot by these
> filesystems on fly as well, e. g. for use with emulators.

That would be a much nicer solution. Staging could them have its own
mapping and it should solve most of the problems we see. Have you any
idea how difficult that would be to implement?

Regards,

Richard