[oe] [RFC] use packages/linux/linux-ezx-2.6.21/update_patches.sh for openmoko kernels

Dr. Michael Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Mon Aug 6 15:20:09 UTC 2007

Koen Kooi wrote:
> Koen Kooi schreef:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently openmoko kernel pull patches from svn and manually apply them with quilt. We've
>> seen numerous breakages in the past with this method, so I would like to suggest using
>> something like update_patches.sh to pull a patchset from svn, add them to OE and
>> automagically write out a SRC_URI.
>>
>> This would have the following benefits:
>>
>> 1) patches don't suddenly change
>> 2) less breakage due to typos in commits upstream
>> 3) less work than continuously checking if recipe and svn patchset match
>> 4) less surprises when using a global SRCDATE
>>
>> And since it's a script, it's not more work than the status quo.
>>
>> what do you think?

> I have seen no objections, so I will convert the kernels tomorrow to include the patches
> in OE instead of pulling from svn.

I'm very much against this. It adds unnecessary stuff into the SCM. Patches in
our SVM should only be added if there's no way to get them into
upstream.

Please don't do it but use the SRCDATE (or rather SVNREV) instead.

Regards,

:M:
--
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | IT-Freelancer | http://www.vanille-media.de