[oe] [RFC] use packages/linux/linux-ezx-2.6.21/update_patches.sh for openmoko kernels

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 18:45:56 UTC 2007

On 8/6/07, Dr. Michael Lauer <mickey at vanille-media.de> wrote:
> Koen Kooi wrote:
> > Koen Kooi schreef:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Currently openmoko kernel pull patches from svn and manually apply them with quilt. We've
> >> seen numerous breakages in the past with this method, so I would like to suggest using
> >> something like update_patches.sh to pull a patchset from svn, add them to OE and
> >> automagically write out a SRC_URI.
> >>
> >> This would have the following benefits:
> >>
> >> 1) patches don't suddenly change
> >> 2) less breakage due to typos in commits upstream
> >> 3) less work than continuously checking if recipe and svn patchset match
> >> 4) less surprises when using a global SRCDATE
> >>
> >> And since it's a script, it's not more work than the status quo.
> >>
> >> what do you think?

I think the idea is ok for stability reasons however  in my past
experience such approach added this extra step of syncing the patches
and it easily got stale and did not work very well.

So I would still suggest to have the existing approach if its not too
much a blocker in development.

My 2 cents

-Khem