[oe] Add Intel Core 2 machine support (prescott and nocona)

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 21:52:24 UTC 2007

Hello Khem,

thanks for the feedback.

On 8/20/07, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would suggest just add conf/machine/core2.conf and another
> conf/machine/tune-core2.inc file to have the special gcc flags.  I would
> not add it as a separate arch but stick with x86. To me it sounds more
> confusing to have x86 and core separated out into two different basic
> arches.

My current proposal is:

conf/machine/x86_32-prescott.conf
conf/machine/include/x86_32-prescott.conf
-arch=prescott
TARGET_ARCH=i686

conf/machine/x86_64-nocona.conf
conf/machine/include/x86_64-nocona.conf
-arch=nocona
TARGET_ARCH=x86_64

starting with GCC 4.3:
conf/machine/x86_64-core2.conf
conf/machine/include/x86_64-core2.conf
-arch=core2
TARGET_ARCH=x86_64

The remaining issue is that the TARGET_ARCH suggests that the
resulting packages run on any i686 or x86_64 which is not necessarely
true due to the instruction set being used.

Although we could create more generic machines, my direct interest is
in (live) media encoding and some packages will use SSE3 and SSSE3.

Regards,

Leon.