[oe] Add Intel Core 2 machine support (prescott and nocona)

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Aug 21 08:04:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 23:52 +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> My current proposal is:
>
> conf/machine/x86_32-prescott.conf
> conf/machine/include/x86_32-prescott.conf
> -arch=prescott
> TARGET_ARCH=i686
>
> conf/machine/x86_64-nocona.conf
> conf/machine/include/x86_64-nocona.conf
> -arch=nocona
> TARGET_ARCH=x86_64
>
> starting with GCC 4.3:
> conf/machine/x86_64-core2.conf
> conf/machine/include/x86_64-core2.conf
> -arch=core2
> TARGET_ARCH=x86_64

Please don't use '_' in the names. It may work but it has the potential
to mess up bitbake's override handling and would be better avoided. I
know people have had issues with "x86_64" already due to this.

> The remaining issue is that the TARGET_ARCH suggests that the
> resulting packages run on any i686 or x86_64 which is not necessarely
> true due to the instruction set being used.
>
> Although we could create more generic machines, my direct interest is
> in (live) media encoding and some packages will use SSE3 and SSSE3.

When using optimised output like that you really do need to use a
different TARGET_ARCH since as you say, the packages will not run on
standard i686/x86_64...

Cheers,

Richard